David T. Walker was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1941 and grew up in the Watts section of Los Angeles. Inspired by his father's playing, he taught himself the guitar on a borrowed instrument He began his professional career in 1957 and by graduation from high school he was working up and down the West Coast. He joined the Kinsfolk band and later Hank Ballard's Midnighters touring nationally with them followed by a stint with Martha and the Vandellas. His career took off with his connection to Motown in Detroit beginning an incredible run as a session and back-up musician and lead guitarist on numerous jazz, funk, and soul releases.
David's more than 2,500 albums include a dozen under his own name and such classics as Stevie Wonder's "Innervisons", Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On", Carole King's "Fantasy", several with Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones, as well as jazz with Pharoah Sanders, Freddie Hubbard, Sarah Vaughn, Cannonball Adderley, Stanley Turrentine and many more. The full list of artists with whom Walker has worked include Jimi Hendrix, Frank Sinatra, James Brown, and Boz Scaggs. David has also worked extensively in motion picture soundtracks, radio, and television productions and is a past recipient of Ebony Music's Best Guitarist Award. He has also been recognized with several awards for community service by the City of Los Angeles.
David's career has recently taken another successful turn with his connection to Japanese pop group Dreams Come True and the albums of Miwa Yoshida. He records and tours with them in Japan and has formed his own group there. He has also toured in the U.S. with Bill Cosby's all-star band recently.
- The Sidewalk (1967) Revue RS7207
- Going Up! (1969) Revue RS7211
- Plum Happy (1970) ZEA ZLP1000
- David T. Walker (1971) Ode SP-77011
- Press On (1973) Ode SP-77020
- On Love (1976) Ode SP-77035
- Swing Street Cafe (with Joe Sample, 1978) Crusaders
- Y-Ence (1987) Alfa Moon 32XM-35
- With a Smile (1988) Alfa Moon 32XM-69
- Ahimsa (1989) Half Moon 28XE-2
- Soul Food Cafe (with Soul Food Cafe, 1989) Invitation VDR-1636
- ... From My Heart (1993) Edoya EDCP-602
- Dream Catcher (1994) Edoya EDCP-701
- Beloved (1995) Edoya EDCP-25005
- Thoughts (2008) DCT UPCH-20113 (Japan)
- 1971-1976 Best of Best (2008) Video Arts VACZ-1365 (Japan)
- Wear My Love (2009) DCT UPCH-20113 (Japan)